Wednesday, October 8, 2008

For My Kids

Soon I am going to have to change the name of the blog to "Mom on a soapbox."

Today, its about Proposition 8 here in California. When I first heard about it, I'll admit, I supported it, but I wasn't very passionate. But as time goes on and I've learned more about the repercussions if Proposition 8 fails, I have felt more inclined to take action.

Proposition 8 would add an amendment to the California state constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman. It does not take away any rights for same sex couples (i.e. health insurance, domestic partner status).

I hope to teach my children tolerance and love for all people. But the fact remains, I value the institution of marriage and I believe a traditional family structure, where children have a Mom and a Dad, is ideal. We don't live in an ideal world, but does that mean we should just throw in the towel?

Today I read this article, and it made me cry. I looked at those little faces in the photos, and it made me sad that they never had a chance to form their own opinions. If you read it, read it to the end. Towards the end, when the sweet six-year-olds are talking about what they think marriage is, it makes me scared for my kids. If marriage was simply about "people falling in love," I think we would be in trouble.

I want them to know that we believe marriage is sacred. We believe marriage was created to join a man and a woman, to allow them to have children and grow together as a family. We believe this institution should be preserved. I believe that Moms are important, and Dads are important. And I don't think children should be denied the right to have both a Mom and a Dad. And while I would never deny friendship or love for anyone based on their personal beliefs, this is a slippery slope I'm just not ready to go down.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Al, I couldn't agree more. This world can be such a sad place for children to grow up in! I worry for little kids, they will have to be so strong, I just want to take them away from the world in live in a cave and eat berries! Not really..but you get the idea!

The Druhe Fam said...

AMEN!