Thursday, October 11, 2007

Soda pop

There have been several times in my life where I felt the need to stop drinking soda. I recently decided it was time. After a few hard weeks of feeling tired and sluggish, I think I am officially over the hump. While my main reason for quitting soda was because I wanted it too much, there are several serious health concerns to consider before drinking soda. These health concerns are in addition to the obvious concerns about empty calories, sugar and diabetes, and addiction to caffeine.

Some highlights from my research:
-Soda is highly acidic (same acidity as vinegar)
-Soda leaches calcium from your bones and may contribute to osteoporosis
-Soda can seriously harm tooth enamel
-Soda drunk by children is linked to asthma, obesity, easily broken bones, and rashes
-Even diet soda is carcinogenic in lab tests and generates dangerously-high levels of methane in the body (32 times the EPA limit)

Even after all that, sometimes I really crave a Dr. Pepper. that is all!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I have to agree with the whole soda thing. I've pretty much given it up, but every now and then a soda tastes so good....but I really do feel better since giving it up.

Tiffani said...

so funny. I have been doing the same thing. For the last two weeks I have nto had any soda. I hae felt way better. It's amazing. But everytime I see a Dr. Pepper I think "am i really doing the right thing?" lol. Good luck with it.