Monday, April 21, 2008

We Miss you Robbie and Beula


Way back in my second year at BYU, I was lucky enough to inherit my Grandma's 91 Ford Taurus. It was free, I named it Beula, and it was a good car. Best of all, I was able to put my no-working-brakes-in-the-winter-so-I-had-to-fall-into-the-snow-bank-to-stop bicycle to rest. Beula lasted all the way until the summer I had the twins and Ben worked in California. He drove it down to Riverside from Utah, and then about half way through the summer it died. It then retired to Ben's parents driveway/backyard for a few years before we finally had it towed away not too long ago.

Our second Ford Taurus came along a few years later, soon after we were married. My grandparents (who clearly love Ford Taurus') were buying a new Ford Taurus, so we bought the 95 from them. Robbie lasted until this past November, when we sold him before moving to California for a cool $600. And it was running. That was a great deal for a running car.

So why didn't we transport this beloved car with us to Cali when we moved? Because we had a Buick waiting for us. My Grandma had been ready for a new car yet again, and we inherited a Buick.

Sadly, it just died after only a few months. We hardly even had time to call it Margaret.

The question is - are our days of driving "old people cars" as we have so lovingly referred to them over? As I scan through Camry's, Maxima's and Prius', I just don't know if we can pull it off. We have always been the type of 20-somethings who roll in a Ford Taurus. We have always been just a tiny bit embarrassed to drive when going out to lunch with co-workers. It just won't be the same to walk outside and see a car made in the 21st century.

So if anyone in Utah sees a woman named Tree (seriously, that was her name) driving a grey 95 Ford Taurus - tell her we'll give her the $600 back. Our long standing history of driving old cars and avoiding another car payment without ever longing for a fancy new car depends on it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go ahead, get that Lincoln Navigator you always talked about! If you are really concerned about having too new of a car, you could always buy an older used one :)

jenn said...

Funny as it seems I do know a girl by the name of Tree she is in my ward and I will have to see if you actually purchase that car from you. How many girl out there are named tree????

Steph sister Jenn

April-Benjamin said...

I remember that car- it's so fun getting a new car, but I'd definitely go slightly used.
-April

Ellie said...

I'll sell you Charlie for $600..but you have to come get him!

Jill said...

Hey, you could drive Charles! I just saw him after Elle unhooked him from the U-Haul. I must say, he is showing his years, or decades..... I cannot imagine NOT having vehicle payments. Take a guess at what mine are. Then keep guessing cuz you won't believe it! When y'all coming to Texas? How about a trip to Sea World? August in Texas is..... not good....

Jill said...

Oh, almost forgot. Saw a new truck at the dealership last week. Ford F350, Powerstroke, Lariat, Regency Conversion, custom paint, 10 inch lift kit. $62,000.00. Asked if they ever sold one. Sold one the week before to a guy for his high school kid to drive to school. Now THAT is a ride!