Friday, June 29, 2007

The Firstborn

Three years ago today Ben and I were preparing to go to the hospital for an induction. When we got there, I remember we blasted Usher's "Yeah" in the car to get psyched up, ha.

I wrote this birth story back then, when Anna was born...

My doctor scheduled an induction for the evening that I would be one week overdue. I felt like my body was nowhere near going into labor on its own. I think I could have held that baby forever.

Ben and I went to the hospital at midnight and they started Cervidil. When the nurse started it she said I would feel light cramping but would be able to sleep through the night. She said in 12 hours they would start Petocin and I would probably have a baby in about 24 hours.

As she said all of this the Cervidil was already kicking in and I felt it big time--back pain. This felt a lot worse than she explained! I went on with that for a few hours, just rubbing my back and trying to rest (Ben was sort of sleeping), but I knew there was no way I was getting any sleep. I felt like a huge wimp because I thought they weren’t real contractions, but at about 3 a.m. I had the nurse start an IV and it had something in it (I don’t even know what, but that helped a little). Next thing I remember the nurses came in and said I was having constant contractions and the baby wasn’t handling it too well so they pulled out the Cervidil. They said hopefully my body would continue to labor on its own.

It did, and at 6 a.m. I couldn’t take much anymore and asked for the epidural…I was at 3 cm, and again feeling like a huge wimp. The hardest part was just getting through 3 or 4 contractions while they put the epidural in. But after that, it was great and I fell asleep for two hours. At 8 a.m. I woke up and told Ben we should call our parents. The nurse checked me and said I was at 10 cm, and ready to push. I was shocked! Ben called our parents and told them to hurry if they wanted to catch the birth. My Mom walked in right as I was about to have the baby.

Nothing can ever describe the surreal feeling of seeing that baby for the first time! She was so beautiful, and opened one eye to look at us. I couldn’t believe how perfect she was, someone said, “It looks like she had an easy entrance into this world.”

Anna Rose was born at 9:02 a.m. on June 30th, after about 8 hours of labor. She was 8 pounds, 2 ounces, and 20 inches long.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

I can so vividly remember the day Anna arrived....our first grandchild. She was more beautiful than we had imagined and we couldn't get enough of her. I remember driving to Monrovia as much as we dared. She seemed so content as if knowing she was where she belonged. I can picture her in her spot by the window, content to watch the clouds blow across the sky, the trees swaying in the breeze, and the birds on their busy way. As she grows, she continues to be such a joy...a perfect first grandchild. Love Grammy